One of our favorite snack which often finds its way on the table nowadays, even for brunch, is Bread Rolls. I always loved this and remember learning to make it from my mom in my teens itself. After I got married, I figured, this is G's favorite as well! Whenever we go to India to his Nani's place, this is the first thing that gets served for breakfast!! :)
I didn't make it too many times in San Jose, since I used to avoid frying stuff.. But here, with the weather being cloudy and rainy all the time, I've been making it quite often, sometimes for brunch and sometimes with tea. And since we walk and bike so much here (its Netherlands, we have no cars, but cycles!) I don't even feel guilty of eating all the fried food coz we burn those calories in a jiffy!
So here are some droolworthy bread rolls followed by the recipe
1 large boiled potato - mashed
1/2 onion - chopped fine
1 green chilli - chopped fine
4 bread slices - edges removed
1/4 tsp red chilli powder
1/4 tsp garam masala powder
1/4 tsp chaat masala
1/2 tsp roasted cumin powder
1 tsp dried mint powder
Salt to taste
Vegetable oil as required
1. Mix mashed potato, chopped onion, green chilli and all the dry masalas well.
2. Wet a bread slice with water slightly and then squeeze out excess water by pressing the bread slice (flat) between the palms.
3. Take a small ball of the potato mixture and put it in the center of the bread slice. Seal all the edges of the bread. Use little water to seal if needed.
4. Gently roll it between your palms to give it an elongated shape. Ensure that the potato mixture is completely covered with the bread slice.
5. Similarly make all the 4 bread rolls.
6. Heat oil in a deep frying pan on high. Reduce the heat.
7. Deep fry the bread rolls until golden brown.
8. Remove on paper towel to get rid of excess oil.
9. Serve hot with your favorite chutney or chilli sauce!
I served it here with some home made "tamarind chutney" made out of applesauce. Will post that recipe soon.
This recipe is my entry for Monthly Mingle - Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres being guest hosted by Mansi . Monthly Mingle was started by Meeta of What's For Lunch Honey?.