Thursday, May 22, 2008

Moth bean / Matki salad

When I heard about this month's MBP theme, I was thrilled! I love to eat salads in various forms. In fact, when I was in bay area "Sweet Tomatoes" and "Fresh Choice" were one of my favorite restaurants where you get a variety of salads and that too "All you can eat"! When it comes to making salad at home though, I am not very creative. Its the usual slice the cucumber, onion and tomatoes, sprinkle some salt pepper and nimbu and you're done. So naturally, I am thrilled and looking forward to the roundup of MBP-Soups n Salad for more creative ideas!

My contribution to MBP Soups n Salad which is hosted by Raaga this month is a moth bean / matki salad which I made using the recipe from Neelam's Recipe Factory with a little variation


I used only matki for my salad and put onion and tomatoes instead of cucumber and celery. Here's how I made it.

Ingredients
1 cup moth beans / matki
1 small onion - finely chopped
1 green chilli - finely chopped
1 small tomato - finely chopped
salt to taste
1/2 tsp chilli pwd
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp chaat masala
little black pepper pwd
lime juice
fresh coriander leaves

Method
1. Wash and soak the moth beans overnight in water.
2. Next morning, drain the water and wrap the beans in a wet cloth. Put it in a seive and let it sprout.
3. Once sprouted, cook the beans in cooker with very little water and only salt and turmeric for 5 mins. (Let the steam out .. don't wait for pressure to go down on its own.. we don't want to cook it too much!)
4. Now add onion, green chilli and tomatoes.
5. Add the masalas - red chilli powder, black pepper and chaat masala
6. Mix it all together and then add lime juice
7. Garnish with Coriander leaves. I also added some bikaneri bhujiya.

Result : An amazing, nutritional salad, which could even go as a snack on its own!

MBP is the brainchild of Coffee from The Spice Cafe

Now this month's CLICK theme is beans n lentils. Even though it does not compare with some of the photos I have seen out there, I would like to submit my photo to the CLICK event hosted by Jai and Bee at Jugalbandi. So here it goes! my first entry to CLICK.

2 comments:

Andhra Flavors said...

moth beans or matki, I heard about this. But I couldn't get in Indian shops. That too, I dont know this name in telugu.
Nice recipe. If i get this time surely i will try this recipe.
thankU

Vandy said...

Welcome to my blog andhra flavors! You can use whole moong beans instead of matki as well if you don't get matki. Its a different taste but equally delicious!