I am back! Had a great time traveling around Europe with my parents.. took tons of photos and ate lots of great food. We went with a tour group.. so it was mostly Indian food which worked out best for my parents who don't even eat egg.. But who can resist Italian pizza and crepes & croissants in Paris. Needless to say I have some serious exercising to do! ;)
My parents are back in India now and I am slowly getting back to the routine. Continuing the new series I started, here is another one of my mom's recipe which she made when she was here - my eternal favorite, Pakode wali kadhi!
3 cups buttermilk
3 cups water
2 tbl spoons Besan
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp red chilli pwd
1/4 tsp turmeric pwd
1 tsp corriander pwd
1 tbl spn ghee
a pinch of hing
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp whole methi seeds
2-3 cloves crushed
1. Mix besan with buttermilk such that there are no lumps in it
2. Add salt, red chilli pwd, turmeric and corriander pwd to it and mix well.
3. In a large vessel heat the ghee and then add all the ingredients for tempering one by one in the order listed above.
4. Next add the besan-buttermilk mixture and water.
5. Keep stirring this mixture till it starts boiling.
6. Now lower the heat and let the kadhi boil for at least 15 minutes.
7. Keep stirring after every few mins. If necessary, add some more water.
8. Meanwhile make some lightly salted besan pakoras. Soak them in water for some time.
9. Once the kadhi is done, squeeze out excess water from the pakoras and add to the kadhi.
Garnish with some cut coriander leaves and serve hot with plain white rice. Makes a delicious Sunday afternoon lunch!