Saturday, October 25, 2008

Pude / Gulgule

Last Friday was Karwa chauth .. the one day in the year when I fast. This is a fast married women, mostly from north India, keep for long life of their husband by going without food and even water from sun up till moon rise.

I have a fixed menu for this day.. nothing too complicated - Aloo ki rasewali sabji, Poori, Kheer and one dish without which Karwa chauth is incomplete - Pude (or Gulgule as its called by some).


Pude are very easy to make and wonderful to taste. Here is the recipe I follow. Adapted from here

Ingredients:
1 cup Atta (Wheat Flour)
1/2 cup Sugar
Pinch of Black Pepper powder
1 tsp Saunf
Oil to fry
1/2 cup Water
1/4 cup Milk

Method:
1. Mix the atta with sugar, saunf, pepper pwd, milk and water to make a flowing batter. The batter should be of the same consistency as that for pakoras.
2. Keep it aside for about 1 hour - this makes the pudas softer.
3. Heat oil for frying.
4. Take a tablespoon full of smooth batter and let it flow into pan. Allow it to take the shape.
5. Deep fry until brown on both sides. You can fry 4-5 pudas at the same time.
6. Remove and drain excess oil on paper towel.

Pude are ready. These taste great with kheer especially after that long fast!

Update: This entry goes to FIC Brown hosted by sunshinemom
and to JFI-festivals hosted by Srivalli


BTW for Kheer I use Anita's recipe from here which is indeed the last word on kheer! I just halve all the quantities but otherwise stay true to her recipe. Couldn't explain it any better than she did there!

Here's what my kheer looked like... and I must say it was pretty well received! :)

5 comments:

Anita said...

welcome to the world of culinary adventures, Vandy! Gulgule look great and what can I say about your kheer!

Vandy said...

Thanks for stopping by Anita. Your recipe for the kheer is indeed flawless :)

Srivalli said...

Thanks for the lovely entry Vandy!

Sunshinemom said...

Vandy, I have read about gulgule in Hindi stories but did not know what it was though the name made me imagine it as something like marshmallows!! Thanks for sharing the delicious recipe and for participating in FIC:)

Vandy said...

:) yup gulgule sure sounds like that!! I always knew them as Pude until somebody said but these are "gulgule"!! and then I too came to know abt the new name